Friday, July 30, 2010

Have To versus Want To

Matt. 26:41-All of you must keep awake (give strict attention, be cautious and active) and watch and pray, that you may not come into temptation. The Sprit is indeed willing, but the flesh is weak.


How many things do you do in life because you HAVE to? Weigh that against what you do because you WANT to. What’s the balance? Few of us give strict attention to the things we have to do with the same rigor we give to what we like. The problem with that is that things you like are easy. It’s the things you don’t like that take the extra commitment and that dreaded word—DISCIPLINE!  I’m finding in my life that I have to stop trying to fool myself into thinking I will want to do that particular thing  that needs doing...I probably never will. Thinking "I'll want to do that"  has not motivated me much because at least for me it is hard to pretend something is what it isn’t.  Being a tee-totaling realist, it’s hard for me to drum up that kind of self-deception. Generally, I’m intolerant of things that I don’t like (and people). Maturity has helped me to see that isn’t a good attitude. 

As there are few things in life that go exactly according to plan-- so is it that we will enjoy everything we do. Mostly we will need to do what we need to do and like very little of it in the process (sigh). Truth is, if we live our life only wanting to do exactly what we want to do at all times, well, we will be selfish and probably not real successful. That's also how sociopaths are created completely void of conscience or consideration for others!  Settling the fact that I can do few things well based on what I feel, or by what I think I want has brought me peace and actually helped me overcome a lot of procrastination. I bleat it out, add some energy and sweat equity and get it done regardless of how I feel about it or if I want to do it.(except for my closets and my dresser draws...I hired someone to do them for me and have been dumbstruck about them ever since...they stay a mess:). Developing that discipline has revolutionized my life, providing the ability to accomplish volumes of things. I don't necessarily think it, feel it,  I just DO IT and tell myself often "don't talk about it, be about it." I want to be a woman God can trust to do what He tells me to do---quick to obey so much so He knows if I get my marching orders I'm on the move without nary a need for Him to convince me or motivate me. Do you share that warrior attitude with me Beloved? People frequently sit and peer at the stage of others lives and accomplishments forgetting that behind the scenes was so much preparation and sacrifice and discipline. Its nothing super-duper special about people who are successful and living their dreams, few are exceptionally talented or smart either and we all have a lazy streak, trust me. You're just as able dear one, perhaps you're just not as willing to sacrifice and do what you must to get what you want? 

 It would behoove you to do a short survey of your life and how you dedicate your time. Are there things undone in your life?  Finish them and start by exercising some “have to” over “want to.” Quit waiting to want to do it. You may never get there but tell you what…do it, whatever that thing is fill in your own blank (____________) because you HAVE TO regardless of how you feel. I’m praying with and for you.

Please feel free to forward CEENOTES with Cheryl Carr to friends and colleagues, but please forward in its entirety. CEENOTES with Cheryl Carr is written and distributed by Arete1 International.


(c) Copyright 2010 Cheryl Carr and ARETE1 International.

No comments:

Post a Comment