Monday, May 17, 2010

Now that you know, what will you do?


James 1:23-25 (New International Version)

23Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror 24and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.25But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it—he will be blessed in what he does.


Many times when coaching individuals in life and spiritual matters they will say to me ..." Cheryl, I just don't know what to do. Why won't God tell me what to do here?" and I have a standard reply because its true. What is the last thing God told you to do that you've left undone? I believe God does not take us past our last act of disobedience. Its just been a truth I've experienced over and over in my own life and I believe its as true as the air we breathe. Beloved, why would God give you further information when you're not applying the information you all ready have?  We seek further guidance for our lives when in reality we don't want to do what we all ready know to do right now, especially if we don't LIKE what we're to do so we'll just take some new information to disobey thank you very much. When reading that can you see the idiocy in that attitude and request of God? Examples:

We ask God why He isn't blessing us but we're unfaithful with the money we all ready have, yet we want more to misappropriate and spend on our lusts.

We don't want to forgive someone but we blow it big time and ask God to forgive us, never mind the un-forgiveness and lack of mercy/grace in our heart we want our forgiveness, even if we won't give it.

That's just two examples but if you sit and dig around in your mind you'll find things that you're not doing that you KNOW to do and yet, you're asking, seeking and knocking for more information from God.


If you're in need of direction, if you're questioning God what is His will in and for your life, get out a piece of paper and sit down, make a list. Write the things you know to do and then check yourself in those areas. Its rare that I don't find a revealed truth that I all ready know without a shadow of doubt that I'm just not fully obedient in. I then repent, ask God to show me what to do right there right now and trust me HE will let you know. I am always amazed at how that then opens the flood gates for the next step. Just like you put one foot in front of the other to walk, God will give you step by step instructions to follow that are very specific for YOU and your life. Reflect back and then don't forget what you look like in that mirror. God speaks. He is ever faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment